LAUTECH CRISIS: SAME ISSUE ; DIFFERENT POLITICS , AS THE SUN FROWNS


I  refrained  from  talking  about the ReOpenLautech campaign for  so  long because I realized that comrades who engaged themselves along side took it has a joke.  Really, the struggle is a joke.  And  most  of  the  writers  that  engaged  in  her  affairs  are   "wannabes "  chasing  after  cheap  fame,  spreading  baseless  open  letters  around with junky contents am sorry if the sounds rude .  I’ve  turned  my  face  away  while  events  unfold and no progressive result has come out so far.  But  as  a friend of mine 'Kúnlè Adèbajó writes in one of his award wining articles  said,  “The  deepest  parts  of  hell  are  reserved  for  people  who  keep  quiet  in  times  of  decadence”.  So  if  you  are  reading  this,  note  that  it’s  not  about  fancy  grammar  or  beautiful  writing.  In  fact,  it’s  not  for  the  sake  of  the  text.  Forget  about  me  being  a  writer,  and  think  of  this  as  the  candid  mind  of  a  progressive.


I  won’t  even  try  to  add  flavour  or  conceptualize  this  piece  because  today,  I’m  not  seeking  comments  like  ‘Nice  write-up’.  Today,  I  seek  to  enlighten,  I  seek  to  open  your  minds  to  long  lost  truths.  I  seek  to  open  eyes  to  the  reality  of  our  day.  I  seek  to  start  a  revolution.  And  by  the  end  of  this,  I  want us all to swift into reasonable actions that will ReOpenLautech without any divided interest or faction. I know  everybody  will  take  perspectives.  While  some  will  recline  to  their  seats  and  put  on  their  thinking  caps,  others  will  close  their  eyes  and  charge  head  first  like  Amokachi,  the  bull,  simply  because  bulls  don’t  think.  All  that  is  expected  in  a  community  of  over  thirty  five  thousand  acclaimed  students.  But  before  you  go  crying  to  the  gallery,  calm  yourselves  and  just  read.

Before i proceed ,  let me quickly react to what his Royal Highness , the Ooni of Ife has said concerning Lautech during the courtesy visit of some LAUTECH students to his palace to plead with him as a royal Father in the Yoruba land to wade into the crisis going on in Lautech . He said "He is aware of the crisis on going in the institution that if Lautech will be reopened , then fee hike is inevitable " . at this juncture i think i have to make some little analysis before i finally say my mind in my next article. Let us travel back into history a little bit .

Amid the protest of students Lautech against increment of school fee in the year the authorities of the University and the Owner states governments of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Ogbomosho , Oyo and Osun states also embarked on an aggressive propaganda to water down the backlash of the public against the fee hike from #40,000 to #110,000 . The central premises of the argument of the authorities against the fee hike solidarity was : complaints over the dwindle subventions from the owner state government and the need to develop and sustain quality in the Ladoke Akintola University Of Technology , hence students must pay .. But quite after a long protest of the students there was a change in government simultaneously in the two co-owing states and the skyrocketed fee came down to #65,000 basic tuition and #20,000 acceptance fee which I believe happened on a mutual understanding between the students and the authorities of the university of technology then ,recently , fresher's acceptance fee was increased from #20,000,to #30,000 , with no one questioning the deeds of the management.

Barely five years after the hike , these arguments have been debunked by realities of things we students of the institution can see win our own naked eyes , while the increment too has failed to justify its existence in the first instance.

This nagging crisis of almighty ASUU refusal to submit examination questions which led the managements announcing a false indefinite break has afforded me the time to have a closer or let me say a personal review of the exorbitant and "holy gholistic" increment of our tuition. Looking through the estimation on my tuition receipt , I kept on fixedly gazing on five out of the 12 listed estimation on the list but which are
(1) Development Fee .............. #30,000
(2) Registration Fee ..................#2,000
(3)I.D Card ................................#500
(4) General Maintenance........#25,000
(5)Consumable Fee.................#3,000

Then questions heaped round my thought as ant heap round a cone of sugar begging my attention , then I choose one of the questions which is " development of what ...." An obvious pellucid reason for this question is , so far , the condition Lautech has been during the time when fee was #40,000 and now . Well , consoling myself , it was at least or probably used to pay the salaries of the workers before the academic unions(almighty ASUU , NASU , SSANU , NAAT) unleash their wrath of strike against the management since the owner states governments no more consider funding of education a fundamental responsibility. And today this is another great testimony of corruption in our educational system where money meant for development of facilities in the institution to produce world class graduates has been diverted to payment of salaries which should be a fundamental responsibility of the government. The Vice-Chancellor wants to remain is office just like Dasuki and diverted our money ... Where is EFCC?

Someone is asking what about the new halls and convocation hall that was just erected on campus , my friend ,that project was funded by the almighty ASUU strike in 2013 , then what about the painting of halls and some renovations we can see ... Thanks for helping me fix something at least to point at for the General Maintenance fee of #25,000 from each student 100-500level ... Where is EFCC?

It may interest you to you to know that , all the estimations on our tuition fee receipt was a result of the unified protest of students which saw to the reduction we have now. As far as am concerned, no development whatsoever has been done by the management ... Where is EFCC?

We pay #500 for I.D card every session 100-500 level and he the we would only be giving identity card during our 100level days if not 200level...Where is EFCC?

 We pay #3,000 for consumable as if we eat everyday in school ....Where is EFCC?

Coupled with some other registration charges I still do not understand the reason why we pay faculty and departmental fee , #2,000 registration fee is meant for what? Where is EFCC?

I leave the total estimation of all the administrative titled fee we pay to the mathematicians to rack brains about considering we sum up to 35.000 students.

Maybe my definition of development is what I'm inferior ring from? Lest I fall a victim of erroneous conclusion.

Let me linguistically analyze the word "Development" , or probably what management mean . Is what my dictionary defined it to be or what? Well , here is what I have according to lexicographers.

Development is : the act or process of growing or causing something to grow or become larger or more advanced.

Sequel to the above definition , is it then justifiably right , based on the condition of our lecture halls , sport facilities and Others , that the management have satisfied the above definition ? To which #30,000 development fee was attached to? I see the word development used by the management as a canopy to hide somewhat exorbitant fee. If not , why the sudden increment in freshers acceptance fee? Where is EFCC?

Obviously , this situation needs attention and changes.  Some lecture halls need chair , some more pillars need erecting and flooring needs some tiling.

These  which  I  have  written  here  are  mere  snippets.  I  can  keep  writing  but  then  I  may  bore  you.    And  moreover,  I  want  to  believe  that  every  student  –  even  those  in  their  first  year  -  has  been  visited  with  the  melodrama  of  the  management and the government.  The  university is  endowed  with  enough  problems and corruption to  fill  a  book  that  will  top  numerous  bestseller  lists. 

But  I  have  not  written  just  to  lament  the  problem.  Remember  I  said,  this  is  the  start  of  a  revolution.  I want to acknowledge  that  this  piece  is  not late yet because  in  a  world  where  the  truth  is  a  hunted  specie,  where  a  select  few  sit  in  the  dark  to  determine  the  fate  of  the  majority;  fear  is  bound  to  thrive.  The  fear  of  what  may  or  may  not  be  has  thrived  in  my  heart  for  long  because  people  who  have  stood  for  the  truth  at  different  times  have  been  persecuted  rather  unjustly.  The unjust persecution  of  the students froms University of Lagos  bears  me  witness.

Before  I  retire  back  into  my  quiescence,  I  seek  that  you  reading  join  in  the  revolution.  Do  help  truth  prevail,  please. Employ  logic  without  a  touch  of  scepticism  and join this struggle.  Now,  this  is  the  least  you  can  do  for  the  Lautech  student  community.  Tomorrow,  there’ll  be  a  chance  to  refine  the  system,  let’s  just  do  what  is  right  today.  Remember,  Three months at home does not concern your hostel agent and landlords.

As we jointly advocate for Lautech to be reopened , we should not forget that the owner state government plan  to increase our school fees which in turn will be used to pay the salary of staffs of the institution, as the IGR can no longer sustain the school running and no single development will occur in the school as usual as the Ooni of Ife as echoed in his voice. Even Alafin of Oyo ask we student to cooperate with the corruption. Smh.

Lets join the fight to reopen lautech for good of our future leaders.